The Grand Tour of Lake Orta, the new hiking, cultural and food-and-wine route that embraces the entire lake and its area was inaugurated in Borgomanero on Saturday, July 30th.
Promoted by the Sportway APS association and the Ecomuseum of Lake Orta and Mottarone, the new route offers the opportunity to discover nature, history, and artistic treasures around the most romantic stretch of water in Italy "at a slow pace", thanks to 115 km of trails divided into 5 thematic stages that can be covered in one day.
From the waters of the lake to the woods of the surrounding hills, passing along streams, through vineyards and one-hundred-year-old hamlets that contain small artistic treasures, stories and traditions of Upper Piedmont, all eager to be discovered: the Grand Tour of Lake Orta crosses 22 municipalities from one side of the lake to the other, with a total difference in height of 3,290 m.
The trail was designed to be covered in 5 days of trekking and 5 stages, or one stage at a time:
- the Stream stage, from Borgomanero to Ameno-Miasino (16.6 km, difference in height D+ 450 m);
- the Chestnut stage, from Ameno-Miasino to Ornavasso (28.8 km, D+ 510 m);
- the stage of Craftsmanship, from Ornavasso to Omegna (22 km, D+ 1130 m);
- the Granite stage, from Omegna to San Maurizio (23km, D+ 1050m)
- the stage of the Vineyards, from San Maurizio to Borgomanero (28.9km, D+ 700 m).