Civic Archaeological Museum of Mergozzo – Granite Eco museum
How to get
On the initiative of a group of lovers, the Archaeological Group of Mergozzo was born in 1969 (G.A.M.) which began to collect and keep at the Casa del Predicatore (House of the Preacher), the archaeological material found or owned by private citizens.
In 2004 was the inauguration of the new headquarters in Palazzo Tamini (from 18th Century), owned by the doctor and benefactor Luigi Tamini, who gave it to the town in 1874 to house the school, the council room and a school of technical design “fit for providing the country of good workers such as stonemasons, blacksmiths, carpenters”.
The Museum focuses on two themes: the section on stone, housed on the first floor, with tools of traditional work of the quarrymen and the stonemasons that worked in the granite quarries of Montorfano and marble of Candoglia. On the second floor is the section dedicated to the archaeological collections offering findings sorted in chronological order ranging from the Stone Age (Neolithic) to High Middle Ages.
Saturday and Sunday from 15.00 to 18.00;
Open every days except on Mondays, from 15.00 to 18.00;
Other days and times:
Open on demand for schools and groups.