How to get
Villa Toeplitz was built towards the end of the 19th century on a hill in the Varese district of Sant’Ambrogio Olona, in the centre of a complex of orchards and farm buildings.
In 1914 the founder of the Banca Commerciale Italiana, Giuseppe Toeplitz, bought the building and began to renovate it. A mansard was added, and a metal dome where an astronomic specula was installed, the existing tower was raised, and the grounds were redesigned and extended to almost eight hectares.
The resulting garden-park, laid out in the Italian and English styles, opens into a main entrance avenue that goes up to the left towards the belvedere hill which gives an excellent view over the formal design of flowerbeds and fountains, as well as the majestic background of beech and conifers. Toeplitz’s wife Edvige Mrozowska brought back from her long travels in the Orient various specimens of trees such as cedars from Lebanon and from the Himalayas, and the stately sequoias and beech trees still flourishing in the park today.
After the second world war, on the death of Giuseppe Toeplitz, the family sold the villa to the Mocchetti brothers of Legnano. The building was purchased by Varese Town Council in 1972.