Museo Baroffio and of the Sanctuary of the Sacro Monte above Varese

Most visited attractions Culture and tradition Nature and adventure Music and entertainment Sport Families and children Piety Must-Eat Foods Wellness Unesco sites Rainy day?


The building that houses the Museum was originally designed in 1900 by the architect Ulderico Tononi and the sculptor Lodovico Pogliaghi to display the collection that Baron Giuseppe Baroffio Dall’Aglio gifted to the Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Monte, and which later was integrated into the heritage of the Sanctuary museum.

The Museum is on three floors and contains works from various historical periods, from paintings of the Lombard, Flemish and Dutch schools of the 15th and 17th centuries to paintings of the Lombard, Emilian, Veneto, Flemish and Dutch schools of the 17th and 18th centuries. Major treasures are the Romanesque relief of the Lion of St Mark, and the Virgin of Milk, sculpted from Candoglia Marble (the stone used for Milan Cathedral) in the late 15th century. Monsignor Pasquale Macchi was responsible for instituting in 2001 a room of contemporary sacred art inspired by the Virgin Mary, comprising paintings, sculptures and graphic works by artists of the stature of Bodini, Guttuso, Matisse and Sironi.

The Museum hosts a range of cultural events in the course of the year, such as concerts, Meet the Artist occasions, talks and book presentations.

Open from March to November, on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday 9.30-12.30 and 15.00-18.30.  Can be opened on other days with prior booking.

More details

Museo Baroffio and of the Sanctuary of the Sacro Monte above Varese
Tel. +39 0332 212042