The Church of the Madonna del Popolo (Virgin of the People) is situated close to the historic centre of Romagnano Sesia near the Piazza della Libertà.
There are no existing records regarding the date of construction of the Church, but its appearance would seem to suggest it originated in the 15th century. The building was under prolonged reconstruction for the whole of the 17th century.
The octagonal dome of the church was frescoed in 1683 by the local artist Tarquinio Grassi, with allegorical female figures and angels playing musical instruments. The artist did not ask to be paid for his work. The half-dome of the apse bears a fresco of the Virgin kneeling on a cloud to be crowned by the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, again by Grassi, dated 1692.
In addition to these frescoes, other valuable works are five oil paintings on religious themes, and the decoration on the pulpit and the organ.