How to get
By train: the nearest railway station is Stresa, on the Milan-Domodossola line.
The Visconti Castle is one of two castles which once stood in Massino Visconti. The so-called “Castellaccio” was destroyed by Galeazzo Visconti in 1358.
The present mid-16th century castle was not so much a military fortress as the lordly residence of the Visconti family; it was originally a quadrilateral building topped with crenellations, and had four towers, a drawbridge, a moat and two stairways leading to the residential quarters.
The Castle’s appearance has changed radically over the centuries; the former terraced slopes are today a superb viewpoint surrounded by large gardens which extend towards the lake. The quadrilateral with the high crenellated walls and the four towers has been streamlined into a three-storey building with a single tower, the other three having been demolished to make room for the laundry, kitchen, stables and gardens. The balcony facing the village, from which the Viscontis would speak to the people, is a characteristic feature. The rooms inside the castle were once decorated with beautiful frescoes, but due to the numerous epidemics of plague that affected the village were whitewashed over, so that today, sadly, very few traces can be seen.
The castle is often used for major events, art exhibitions and conventions, as well as being a fairy-tale setting for weddings.