We have great pleasure in inviting you on Wednesday 27th February, at 5 p.m. to the Palafiemme Press Centre at Cavalese for the presentation of "Lake Maggiore, its valley and flowers" with Guidina Dal Sasso, the winner of 5 editions of the Marcialonga and ambassador of Fiemme Worldwide Friends.
An aperitif with local products will follow.
Rsvp by February 26th: cell. 349 46667454 - firstname.lastname@example.org
The flowers for the 156 bouquets to be used for the top three medal winners in each of the 21 races of the World Nordic Ski Championships Trentino Fiemme 2013 will come from Lake Maggiore. The event will be held from 20th February to 3rd March. There will be shades of light or dark pink and white coming from camellias of the varieties “Donation”, “Debutante” and “Superba” as well as Skimmia Rubella and a heather of the variety “Erica Caniculata”. Thousands of camellias, azaleas, rhododendrons and other plants will decorate not only the race sites of Cavalese, Predazzo and Lake Tesero, but also the offices, welcome desks, Press Center and TV studios.
Already the official flowers at the last three editions of the Marcialonga, of the Turin Winter Olympic Games in 2006 and the Turin Winter University Games in 2007, these plants, whose origins lie in Japan and China, have been cultivated for 150 years in the Floricultural District of Lake Maggiore where the mild climate and fertile soil created ideal conditions for their acclimatization. In fact, the lake is one of the largest area in Europe for the cultivation of camellias, azaleas and rhododendron with over 2 million plants sold to European markets in 2012. Today, the brand of the “Consorzio Fiori Tipici del Lago Maggiore” brings together the most important plant nurseries which, by respecting stringent rules of practice, guarantee the customer the highest quality of plants whilst paying due attention to the environment.
The combination of winter sports and flowers from Lake Maggiore is due to the fact that these plants can withstand low temperatures and live a long time. To the Samurai of Ancient Japan, the winter-flowering camellia (which is where we get tea from) was a symbol of eternity because the plants themselves were considered to be immortal. The tradition of this specialist cultivation on Lake Maggiore is linked to the tradition of noble villas and gardens, many of which are open to the public and receive visitors from all over the world. Perhaps the most famous is Villa Taranto which, despite the damage done by a violent storm and gale-force winds in late August last year, and thanks to the generous donations of both private and public organizations and citizens, will be re-opening on 16th March this year. On the same date the sumptuous gardens of the Palaces of Isola Bella and Isola Madre near Stresa will also open for the summer season.
The area around Lake Maggiore and nearby Lake Orta also holds surprises for mountain lovers as it boasts not only the alpine valleys and enchanting villages of the Ossola valley but also the possibility of wonderfulhikes in nature reserves such as the Valley Grande National Park, the biggest wilderness area o f the Alps. The hills and plains of the Province of Novara, by contrast, are witness to a centuries-long production of rice and wine. New for this year is the Nordic Walking Tour which takes in 15 different communities in a total of 28 trails offering inspiring natural landscapes and interesting artistic monuments along with the chance of a variety of tastings in the local wineries.
There are also opportunities for water sports, winter sports, mountaineering, climbing, golf, mountain-biking, Nordic walking, running and trekking. The System of the Sacred Mounts, recognised as a UNESCO World heritage site, attracts pilgrims, art and nature lovers and the Adventure Park, Safari Park and the “Ecomuseo” chain of Local Heritage Museums provide fun for the whole family. Another dynamic sector is the wealth of opportunities offered to the business meeting, incentives and conference market: “Lago Maggiore Green Meetings” promotes events of low environmental impact, events that respect and conserve the quality of the surrounding environment and reduce the use of non-renewable resources.
Massimo Nobili, President of the Province of VCO and Guidina Dal Sasso, Provincial Councillor for Tourism, Ambassador of Fiemme World Friends, cross-country ski champion and herself five-times winner of the Marcialonga, say: «With the flowers of Lake Maggiore, we hope to bring colour to this extraordinary sporting event, hosted in an area which, like Lake Maggiore, has its strong point in the environment, nature and landscape. This area is enriched every time it becomes the background for great achievements like those of the future champions of this World Championships».
The presence of “Lake Maggiore, its Valleys and Flowers” at the World Nordic Ski Championships Trentino Fiemme 2013 is the result of the collaboration between the Province of Verbano Cusio Ossola, the Chamber of Commerce of Verbano Cusio Ossola and Novara, Stresa Town Council, the Consortium “Fiori Tipici del Lago Maggiore” and with the support of the Promotional Tourist Boards of the “Distretto Turistico dei Laghi” and the ATL of Novara.
Events calendar 2013:
- 23-24 March, Verbania and Cannero Riviera: 47th National Camellia Exhibition. The foremost camellia flower show of Italy with exhibitions, plant markets, guided visits to the most magnificent collections of camellias, kiddies’ workshops and other side events. www.lagomaggiorefiori.it
- 3-7 April, Riale: Italian Absolute Nordic Ski Championships and Italian Youth and Junior Championships with a programme of 12 races which will include the winning athletes from the Val d Fiemme World Championship and the best young athletes from every region. www.caiformazza.it
- Public access to the dome of the Basilica of San Gaudenzio in Novara, a thrilling and fascinating ascent up to a height of 121 metres. The church is the work of the architect Alessandro Antonelli and is reputed to be one of the highest all-brick structures in the world. www.cupolasangaudenzio.it
- 15-16 June, Maggiora: Italian GP World Motocross Championships on the new circuit at Mottaccio del Balmone www.maggioramotocross.com
- 29-30 June, Verbania: “LetterAltura” – Literature Festival of the Mountains, Travel and Adventure.The event takes place during the first three weekends of July in different locations in the Ossola Valley and Cusio area. www.letteraltura.it
- Weekends In July, Verbano Cusio Ossola: “Tones on the Stones” presents exclusive musical, theatrical and dance events against a backdrop of local stone quarries.
- Summer, Verbano Cusio Ossola: “Musica in Quota”, “Music at the Heights”, a choice of concerts where trekking goes hand-in-hand with live music, in alpine areas. www.provincia.verbano-cusio-ossola.it
- 19 July/7 September: 52nd edition of the Stresa and Lake Maggiore Music Weeks, a prestigious International Festival of classical music in the magical setting of Lake Maggiore. www.stresafestival.eu
- July/August: 15th World Firework Championship “Flowers of Fire”, firework displayed by the best firework crews in the world, lighting Lakes Maggiore and Orta and Ossola valleys. www.fioridifuoco.it
- Verbania: TE.CU 2013, Teatro Cultura Verbania, a rich programme of music, cinema and theatre which places Verbania in a cultural and artistic circuit of international appeal. www.teatroculturaverbania.it
- October: Village Festival (“Sagra”) of Fontaneto d’Agogna to celebrate and taste the White Onion of Cureggio and Fontaneto, recently recognised by the Slow Food Movement www.turismonovara.it