In Druogno, by an ancient transit which connects Italy to Switzerland, stands the deconsecrated eighteenth-century oratory dedicated to San Giulio that hosts the works of the sculptor Giancarlo Sangregorio.
The “Mountain Garden” – this is the name chosen by the artist for his collection – is located in the magnificent and uncontaminated alpine landscape of Val Grande. This is the place in which Sangregorio significantly chose to settle his works: the relationship with the surrounding environment, the primordial dialogue with nature and the questions about the origins of man, have been, in fact, the themes that inspired his sculptures.
Giancarlo Sangregorio, born in Milan in 1925, started his artistic activity exactly in the Ossola Valley whose stone caves was seduced by. After finishing his studies at the Accademia di Brera in Milan, he stayed in many Italian cities, displaying his works in his first important exhibitions. He travelled a lot abroad, especially to Paris – where he had an atelier – and had his first personal exhibition in Milan, in 1952. Since then, his production has been unceasing, as his participation to the most important international artistic events: in France, ex-Jugoslavia, Germay, Israel, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, United States, Mexico, Argentina and Italy.
His works are today exposed in several private and public collections, between them the “Mountain Garden” of Drugno.
A few steps from the “Mountain Garden”, in which are gathered seven sculptures of the Milanese artist, stands the Sangregorio Study Center: besides other sculptures of stone and wood, the Study Center exhibits works on paper and canvas, etchings, collages, tracings, reliefs and multi-material works, all realized, over the years, by the sculptor.
How to get there
By car: Highway A26, direction Gravellona Toce - Exit Val Vigezzo/Masera
By train: line Milano-Domodossola. Continue on the line Domodossola-Val Vigezzo-Locarno
By plane: airport of Milano Malpensa
The park is always open and can be visited at any time.