How to get
By train: the nearest railway station is in Arona.
Borgoagnello is an ancient settlement within the town of Paruzzaro, on State Road 142 linking Biella at one end with Arona at the other.
Recent studies reveal that the village was founded in 1237 by the podestà (town governor in the Middle Ages) Zucono de Agnello, at a time when the Commune of Novara was implementing a plan of founding new “free burghs” to gain land from other feudal powers of the area.
Evidence of settlement in Roman times has also been found in the village: a burial ground dating from the 1st-2nd centuries AD, and a tombstone with the inscription AMOINUS ALBUCI FILIUS, built into a wall of the Borella house, and originally found at the Borgoagnello gate in the direction of Gattico.
Like another gate facing Paruzzaro, this gate has some decoration on the outside, and holes where there were once the beams of a wooden floor. Two wings of masonry (one of which collapsed in 1982), detached from the main structure, were added towards the outside part of the two gates.